Author Topic: Item House Rule Suggestions  (Read 1996 times)

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
Item House Rule Suggestions
« on: March 25, 2015, 11:25:05 AM »
#1 - Swapping Gear

Current Rule: You can switch items for free on your turn.

Suggested Rule: Removing an item from an item slot costs 1 Movement Point (MP).  Equipping an item into an item slot costs 1 MP. 
(So swapping one item for another generally costs 2 MP.  An item that uses multiple slots only takes 1 MP to equip, but you may have to remove 2 items to make room, for a total of 3 MP.)

Why? This is something I had hoped would get into 2.0 rules, but it wasn't addressed.  I'm a fan of choices having consequences.  Picking what you will be armed with for a fight shouldn't be as trivial as it is with free swaps.  This will prevent gaming the system so much for things like items with drawbacks (people get around -1MP items by swapping them out, moving, then swapping back), and avoiding item damage/theft by doing a free swap.  I think the rule makes sense, is easy to implement, and gets rid of undesirable situations without much as far as downsides.

#2 - Keeping Gear

Current Rule: You can keep 1 item for each title you have earned.

Suggested Rule: Items kept are based on titles.  More titles can increase the power and/or quantity of items you can keep for your character.  At the end of each adventure, select a combination of items which add up to no more than the total number of titles your character has attained.
1 Title - 2 white items
2 Titles - 1 Green Item
5 Titles - 1 Blue item
11 Titles - 1 Orange Item

Example 1: The archer has attained three titles in her career.  During the adventure, the archer found the Helm of Command (blue), leather armor (green), a quiver (green), and six potions (white) of various types.  The archer unfortunately does not have enough titles to keep the blue item at this time.  However, they have a couple choices to make around the other items.  First, they could keep one of the green items (leather armor or the quiver) requiring 2 of her three titles.  With the extra title, she can keep two of the six potions.  Second, the archer can forgo keeping one of the green items, but this would allow her to keep all six potions.

Example 2: The soldier has attained six titles in his career.  During the adventure, he found Traitea's Battle Plate (blue), a Buckler (green), a shortsword (green), the ring of kings (green) and six potions (white).  This gives a number of basic options.  First, the soldier could invest five of his titles into keeping Traitea's Battle Plate, leaving one title to keep two potions.  Second, the soldier could keep all three green items, investing two titles each.  Third, the soldier could keep any two of the three items, investing the last two titles in keeping four potions.  The soldier could also keep one green item, and then use titles to keep all six potions.  This last option isn't as optimal since it leaves one title unused.

Why? I originally started thinking about this in connection with organized play options, to slow item growth.  Under the current official rules, titles are extremely powerful when you get an early blue item.  Being able to keep a few blue items is a huge advantage.  There really is never a reason to keep white or green items.  This rule would add more choices, and make more of the deck still useful after the past couple quests.  I've had a number of different scales, but after doing a bit of testing, I think this scale balances out pretty well.  Treasure drops during each quest remain a very important part of the game once heroes aren't starting each quest with the best of the best equipment.

----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.

thesigma

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Item House Rule Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 09:00:15 PM »
These modifications look pretty good. I've also disliked the quickness one can max out on blue items. However, I see a potential problem with the 1 Title tier. White items aren't really kept, they are immediately replaced with tokens. I take from your examples you mean potions. But under these rules could one keep 3gp? And if so, would it require one to have found the 3gp card or merely have 3gp at the end?

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
Re: Item House Rule Suggestions
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 01:03:09 AM »
I was specifically thinking potions, not gold.
----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.