Author Topic: Advancement Rules  (Read 2880 times)

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
Advancement Rules
« on: April 02, 2015, 10:40:04 AM »
The following resources may be tracked for characters from module to module to allow characters to advance:
1) Experience (how many quests have been completed)
2) Titles (Custom titles will be earned based on certain conditions and sets of quests.)
3) Max Items (This will no longer be tied 1 to 1 with titles.  Several systems under consideration.)
4) Item Availability (Different quests will unlock certain items as purchasable.)
5) Current Items (Character's items purchased, per the max item and item availability rules.)
6) Deck Modifications
7) Gold (May allow carrying some gold from module to module, possibly based on max items.)
8) May allow characters to have a serendipity pool that can carry over from story to story.
----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.

thesigma

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
Re: Advancement Rules
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 11:52:15 AM »
Two things of note.

First, I think it's be a good idea to minimize the amount of material that any one player would have to bring to the game in order to play as this lessons problems with accidentally forgetting things and the like. I also think it's a good idea to limit potential conflict between multiple players wanting access to the same item. As such, I offer two possible solutions.

1. Treasure rewards could be limited to treasure draws instead of specific items from the item deck.

2. Specific treasure rewards are limited to items created by us and available online as part of pdfs so that they can be looked up if forgotten and multiple people could have them at the same time in that form.

Second, I was concerned about possible implications of turning a group resource (gold/serendipity) into a individual resource. Most specifically, someone might feel entitled to an item if their gold was spent purchasing it. This could lead to someone feeling as though they were bullied into using one of their rewards for someone else.

On the other hand, given that you'd be unlikely to play one of these games with people you know, it's probably best to limit group resources as much as possible so that each individual playing doesn't feel forced into these positions. E.g. if you want that item, you can purchase it or trade me something so that you have the finds to purchase it. This system would also allow one to donate money into buying a good item without others believing that someone is monopolizing a group resource.

NerdGuy

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 12:13:54 PM »
Some interesting points thesigma, what are typically group rewards per the rules are going to have to be handled a bit differently with this type of play.  It could be fairly easy to award X amount of gold to each player for completing a scenario or special objective and let them do what they want with it.  However, Serendipity would be a bit tougher to manage (if it carries over). I know I'd donate any I had to revive a player if need be but that doesn't mean everyone would.

Also, a thing to consider for player advancement is how fast its intended for them to reach Journeyman level.  If, for example, players should hit Journeyman around Season 2 based on the difficulty of scenarios but hit the required cards/titles to upgrade long before that its not exactly fair to deny them Journeyman status.  Just something to possibly consider.

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 09:17:53 PM »
What I was thinking about with Serendipity and gold is the potential for a character to have an "ability" to donate a certain amount to the pool at the start of the game.  So for example, you could have 3 players join the table that all have the ability to bring 1 gold to the table.  The party starts with 3 gold in their party pool, which gives a boost when they find their first merchant.  Each of the 3 characters will replenish their 1 gold before their next quest.

So it isn't necessarily a matter of "saving" gold from session to session, I was just trying to list out all the different kinds of rewards we could possibly tap into at the end of a quest or story.  Some could even be temporary, like "start your next quest with 3 extra gold in your party pool, then this boon is expended."

I don't think all of these different resources will get used, just trying to brainstorm ideas, and those were a couple of outside the box ones that came to mind.

I do like the idea of getting treasure draws instead of kept items.  If we took the pathfinder approach to items, we could have quests end with specific items as a possible reward.  Basically, if you have a quest reward that includes a certain item, and you have a slot for that colored item earned, then you can select that item at the beginning of the quest.  That could even allow multiple people to have the same item.  I'm really liking the draws though...clean and simple, and makes it so we don't have to worry about the long term impact of a broken item.
MYTH Kickstarter backer.

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 01:32:21 PM »
A stab at a simplified system.

1) "Experience" (I actually would like to find a more Myth-like term.  Experience is too clinical.  Story Points?  Accolades? Perks?  Merits? Honors?  Feathers in cap?  Reckoning?  )

Each hero will be granted 1 experience at the successful completion of each quest.
Heroes may be granted an additional bonus of 1 experience if they have completed all quests in a chain.

2) Spending Experience

At the start of each quest, a character will spend their experience for a collection of advantages that they will take with them during the next quest.  Experience refreshes for each quest (in addition to growing) so a character can spend up to their total experience at the start of each adventure in preparation.  They may spend on any of the following:

Treasure Draws - The character may make draws from the treasure deck to get equipment and/or gold.  They may equip items at the start of the quest, or place it in their inventory.  A character can make as many draws as they would like (as long as they have enough points), trying to get items more useful to them.  They may trade items with other characters if they wish.
- White Treasure Draw - 1 Experience (any gold is added to the party pool of gold to spend when merchants are encountered)
- Green Treasure Draw - 3 Experience
- Blue Treasure Draw - 7 Experience
- Orange Treasure Draw - 15 Experience

Serendipity - Serendipity points can be added to the party pool for 2 Experience each.

Card Swap - A character may swap any number of cards with a novice card for 3 experience per swap.  (Journeyman rules will be figured out at a later date)

Activate a Title - Titles will have Tiers, with higher tier titles being harder to earn (having prereqs) and more expensive to activate.  Titles will be rewards from quests, with certain combinations of titles required to get higher tiers.
- Activate Tier 1 Title - 2 Experience
- Active Tier 2 Title - 5 Experience
- Activate Tier 3 Title - 12 Experience

Pros:
Under this system we only have to track the total number of experience, and what titles are open to the character.   So less paperwork.
No item tracking.  (Items are drawn for to start the quest.)
No swap tracking.  (Swaps are made at the start of the quest.)
It allows flexibility for players, and prevents "bad decisions" having long term negative impact on the character.
It prevents lucky item draws from "breaking" a character long term since new items are drawn each time.
No requirements for certain item sets.

Cons:
Advancement is a bit more abstract.
Players may still be upset about not getting to keep their favorite item.
Eliminates custom items (not that we need them)

Open to discussion on pros/cons, whether the values I assigned are balanced, and if there are rewards suggested that are a bad plan or rewards that might be worth adding that aren't included.
MYTH Kickstarter backer.

thesigma

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 07:55:57 PM »
That looks pretty good to me. Just a couple notes.

First, I still think this system would allow for custom items, they would just be limited to the adventure the heroes are participating in. For instance, in this adventure the heroes are fighting special flying crawlers (flyers?) and they are rewarded after saving an old man with bug replant which modifies where a hero falls on the monsters priority. An added benefit to this is that these items need only be balanced to a single adventure and not for the entire game.

Second, I like the idea of title tiers. I'm not sure exactly how you envision these, but setting them up like they do talents in the new Star Wars RPG might be interesting. Here is a link that show how they do it there: http://beggingforxp.com/2014/star-wars-talent-sheets/ It might be neat to have a different tree each season and tie it to the major them of the season. E.g. this season is primarily about stopping a crawler invasion and several of the titles make you better at fighting insects. Another idea is to make these title trees per class to help differentiate classes even more. E.g. the Brigand's includes adding to notice checks. Either of these systems, especially if they list everything out front, also encourage people to want to keep playing so that they can unlock the cool powers.

Lastly, I think I like the name accolades the best.

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 08:45:20 PM »
i think you and I are on the same wavelength as far as how to handle title tiers.

And Accolades is actually my favorite too. 
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 08:46:56 PM by MythMaster »
MYTH Kickstarter backer.

tfelts

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2015, 06:44:55 PM »
I think this is a good start!

I was thinking that there can be two module types.  'Short stories' which award 1/2 Accolade and should run 1.5-2.0 hours and 'Tall Tales' which will run 3-4 hours and award 1 accolade.

I like the idea of using accolades before the scenario to 'upgrade' your character. It will make tracking easier than tracking items over several sessions.

Tim

Madclaw

• Global Moderator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +42/-3
  • Protecting you while you post!
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Apprentice
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 06:02:38 PM »
This is definitely a step in the right direction MM. You stated somewhere else that you've done PFS. I think doing something like Chronicles like each scenario has would greatly help track and control things from a organization standpoint. I like the each hero brings x amount of Seredipity to the table, but I think if we liquidated gold and everyone got the same amount at the end of the adventure would work better. We make a standardized list of things that they can buy that are always available (i.e. green items and potions) for purchase and make other items (blues on up) only available for purchase on specific Chronicles for purchase. The party wouldn't need to split gold everyone would just get whatever was rewarded on the Chronicle.

As for in game gold and items they get from treasure drops I say they can only use that for that specific gameplay session/adventure/module. This will make gold and treasure earned in a module useful without overpowering some players if they treasure farm. And we can then control what items they have access to via their Chronicle they receive and the end of the adventure. And it'll help us track which they've played. With having Chronicles we'll also know what treasure they have access to and be able to audit and control things accordingly.

I think also having just a set amount of gold and tracking items that prevents swing things like bad/good item draws from happening. That kind of randomness can take a character from being awesome and effective one scenario to being lack luster. I think being able to outright purchase items and tracking the abilities on the sheet makes for more consistent character play. Although I do like the idea of using experience for items draws it again is that randomness. I think that we make the purchase requirements for items listed on certs require both gold and experience. Then the player can choose which they want and it limits what is needed to be carried by the play to a few sheets of paper. Here's an example of a chronicle sheet for those who don't know what I'm talking about.

Chronicle/Cert sheet
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 06:58:51 PM by Madclaw »
The New and Improved Murphy Bat, with all new Kung Fu Moderator Grip!