Author Topic: The Master To Do List  (Read 3286 times)

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • Serendipity: +40/-1
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
The Master To Do List
« on: April 02, 2015, 10:10:02 AM »
Trying to get together the logistics of what it would require to create a living campaign.  Would love to see this ready for GenCon, but more likely, Jan 1, 2016 is a more reasonable objective.  Although it's only a few people giving feedback, it's generally in support, and I think if it actually were to get off the ground, it would get more support.

1) Campaign Rules
  A standard set of campaign rules are needed, to give a framework for how campaign games should be played.
  1A) Legal Resources - What components of the game are required to run a game?
  1B) Player Resources - What components are a player expected to have on hand to play the game?
  1C) Advancement Rules - What options are available to allow characters to advance, and what do players need to do in order to track this.
  1D) Rules changes from core?  Some changes to advancement would be needed, but the goal would be to stick to the rules as written whereever possible.

2) Module Design
  Standards of what will be required of approved writers and approved modules.
  2A) Writer Guidelines including word count, necessary components, standard format, approved resourses, etc
  2B) Determine what core module design will be around.  1 ACT?  3 Tiles?  Always end with a special scenario on the last tile?
  2C) Base around more free form, or have specific setups for each tile?
  2D) Adjustments based around different tiers and numbers of players?
  2E) Find volunteer writers to get season 0 material written.

3) Tracking Database and Sheets
  3A) Reporting database to record online games, and impacts coming from resolutions of stories?
  3B) Tracking sheet design?  How to make it useful, yet not onerous for players or organizers.

4) Marketing
  4A) Name the campaign
  4B) Logo/Branding design
  4C) Facebook?
  4D) Get web pages designed around it.
  4E) Mission statement - to players, to retailers

----------------------------
MYTH Kickstarter backer.
Counting down to January 2015 2014.

GeckoTH

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Archer
Re: The Master To Do List
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 11:32:46 PM »
I'll toss my name in the hat to help with graphic design/logo/branding, plus taking written modules and putting them in a layout for generating the PDFs.

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 01:05:31 PM »
Awesome.  The more volunteers we have before we really get going, the more likely it is we can bring this to reality.
MYTH Kickstarter backer.

thesigma

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 08:09:07 PM »
I'd like to officially volunteer to help with this project. Specifically, I'd like to help with areas 1C and 2E. I'll also jump in to help with anything else that I can.

tfelts

• Myth Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 08:30:43 AM »
Let me know how I can help!  I can help with behind the scenes type things or even writing scenarios (thinking we should call them something besides modules since modules are now being released for the game...)

I have experience with running PFS and PFACG...

Thanks,
Tim

MythMaster

• Administrator
  • Archer
  • It's a Typo!
    • View Profile
    • Lands of Myth
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2015, 11:22:59 PM »
I know it's been quiet around a week or so.  (Busy week closing deals at work + trying to really organize my thoughts on what it's going to require to make this reality, and start opening up specifics to volunteers.)

One thing some feedback would be useful on...committee approach or let volunteers pretty much run with parts they are assigned to if one person gets one part?
MYTH Kickstarter backer.

tfelts

• Myth Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2015, 08:22:05 AM »
I think let somebody run with it but bring it back for ideas and builds throughout the process.  I think having one person 'lead' each part would be good but have a discussion thread where they can layout what they have and where they are in the process for input and feedback would be good.

Tim

thesigma

• Merchant
  • Serendipity: +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2015, 12:00:27 PM »
On a general level, I think the way Magic the Gathering handles design and development teams is a good place to look for ideas. There is a lot of info on the web describing their processes, and I'll edit in a couple links when I'm less busy.

As for more specific notes, I think creative things made by committees are generally pretty poor. Therefore, things like the actual quests should definitely not be made by committee. However, I agree with tfelts that having a place for input of various different parts is good though. Constructive criticism and suggestions are useful. Therefore, I think things like quests should be assigned to individuals to write but have a place on the forms for people to get input about them.

I also think MythMaster should explicitly take a lead designer role. This is your idea and your vision after all, and you should therefore have more control than anyone else.

tfelts

• Myth Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2015, 09:40:10 AM »
I think there are plenty of resources available on how to frame the living game (pathfinder society, pathfinder card game, magic, etc).

I am willing to put some effort behind this but don't want to step on anyone's toes... I agree with thesigma, MythMaster should have lead design role (assuming he wants it) and should have final say in who leads what (since this was his initial idea). (I am assuming you are a 'he' and apologize if I am incorrect)

Just let me know how I can help...

Tim