Author Topic: Keesi and Og  (Read 1539 times)

solitaire

• Myth Fan
  • Serendipity: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Keesi and Og
« on: April 23, 2015, 02:11:38 AM »
This is the first fully painted and based mini I've done for Myth. Prior to Myth, I hadn't painted minis since the late 90's back when I was playing 40k and Space Hulk. I've worked on a few grubbers, mostly painting skin and did a rough job on a few of the insects (which I'll redo once I have a consistent scheme). Overall I'm very happy with how this figure turned out but there were a few areas I wouldn't mind improving.

First, the skin didn't turn out as well as I would have liked. I have a mix of old Citadel paints, even older Citadel paints, some new Citadel washes and a bunch of new Reaper Master Series paints. Turns out the Reaper paints I ordered weren't as dark as I'd hoped so I ended up using the Kislev Flesh I thought I was going to use as a highlight, as the base color. This left the contrast between the wash and the skin too abrupt and makes the hands, feet, and chest look dirty.

I'm not super happy with Keesi, I'm short a light green color to use for ork skin highlighting, so I've been hand mixing. I think I should go a bit lighter for the highlight. Also, that part of this model doesn't have a ton of detail so...

Also, I think the leather could use a bit of work, maybe go with a lighter style.

Again, I'm very pleased with how this turned out but I'm always looking for ways to improve. I've never really based my minis before but now I love it. I think it really adds to the overall feel. I'm ok with having (for example) Og based on a stone floor while playing on a forest tile. I'll likely be super slow painting the rest of my minis but am willing to post pictures if people are interested. I'm currently working on the rest of my grubbers but may switch back to bugs if I get a good plan.

Artisan

• Acoylyte
  • Serendipity: +19/-5
    • View Profile
  • Hero: Les Stroud
Re: Keesi and Og
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2015, 05:47:56 AM »
First of all, I gotta say I like that base!  I'm kinda scared to start basing my minis because I'm afraid of screwing it up... or going too far, not knowing when to stop.  Secondly, for the skin, you could add another wash coat to just those areas to darken it up a little if you think it's too light.  As for the leather, I kinda like it dark.  There's still enough contrast that it stands out.  And for Keesi, I'd say definitely go for that lighter highlight.  I would even say he'd need to be a brighter shade of green, so that he pops out of that darker tone of Og even more than he does now.  I'm trying to figure out how to make Keesi just as imposing as Og on my own mini right now.  I'm thinking of having Og be a giant white rat, and Keesi be the darkest orc I've painted thus far.  So far, it ends up just looking like a dark lump on an under-painted figure.  Yours looks much better!
Don't listen to anything I say.  I'm still a n00b.

solitaire

• Myth Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 10:14:46 AM »
That's a really good idea about washing the skin. It probably wouldn't be too bad to build up a few layers over the belly and get a nice smooth gradient, I'll give that a shot. As far as Keesi goes, I don't think I want to jump back in to making changes that drastic. I'll probalby work on that while I do my grubbers. I'm a bit more of a traditionalist than you as far as paint schemes are concerned. I think the white rat idea is a really good one but most of mine will be fairly close to "standard".

I was worried about starting basing too but I tried it out and liked the results so I bought more stuff and decided to rip the bases off everything. I watched a bunch of youtube videos to see how people were doing it but maybe I'll post up here with how it went and what I tried. Pulling all the minis off was a pita and I ended up cutting a few bases off to keep from damaging the legs too much.

Starhata

• Myth Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 11:14:45 PM »
Each of these stories may not be the same.